Did you know that one of the best chance for your website to reach its SEO peak and show up in search results is by submitting your site’s sitemap to search engines like Google and Bing?
Oh yeah, in order for your website to get a fair share of organic search traffic, you must ensure that your webpages are well equipped with SEO, and this can only be effective if your webpages are properly indexed by search engines like Google and Bing.
Anyway, for your website to be visible to search engines purposely for crawling and indexing, this article is structured to show you How To Create An XML Sitemap and how to submit your sitemap to Google and Bing for indexing.
In addition, we shall also look at how to create an publish a SiteMap page on your website for much easy navigation.
What Is A Sitemap?
A sitemap lists a website’s most important pages, thus, making sure search engines can find and crawl them. Sitemaps also help in understanding your website structure, making it easier to navigate your website. In other word, sitemap is a file of lists that explores the two its guests and search engines to each available page on a site.
Notwithstanding, sitemaps are significantly significant today from a SEO (Search Engine Optimization) perspective. The following are a couple of motivations behind why WordPress sitemaps are significant:
- Sitemaps inform search engines about the progressions on your site structure
- They assist bots with quicker crawling and indexing
- It helps search engines to list enormous sites with a great deal of pages that are not very much organized or interlinked
How to Create an XML Sitemap For Any Type Of Website?
Mostly, sitemaps are generated by plugins for platforms like WordPress. However, this method can be applied to Static HTML sites and whatever type of website you are regulating currently.
Here is how you can create a sitemap with a free XML Sitemap Generator;
- Visit https://www.xml-sitemaps.com .
- Type your domain name into the generator bar ( your_website.com ).
- Download the XML file of your website’s Sitemap.
- Upload the XML file to the root folder of your website.
- Preview the sitemap by navigating to your_website.com/sitemap.xml
How to Create an XML Sitemap For WordPress.
If you happen to be using WordPress, one of your best options is to use a plugin. Below are some of the best plugins to use.
This plugin provides an easy way of generating a WordPress sitemap for a wide range of search engines. It can also create sitemaps for all WordPress pages and custom URLs. Furthermore, it automatically notifies all major search engines whenever new content is posted or published.
- Once the plugin is installed, open the configuration page by going to Settings ->> XML-Sitemap. Here, you can find your WordPress sitemap URL.
Rank Math is one the best SEO plugins for WordPress. You can simply download the plugin, complete the setup and your Sitemap will be generated automatically by the Rank Math plugin.
How to Create an HTML Sitemap Page for WordPress?
Now, if you want to create an HTML sitemap page on your WordPress site, you can use the WP Sitemap Page plugin by following these steps:
- Install and activate the plugin. Set up a new page by clicking the Pages then navigate to Add New.
- Add the following shortcode to where you want your HTML sitemap to be visible.
- Once you’re done, click Publish and visit its URL to preview your HTML sitemap. How To Create An XML Sitemap
How to Submit WordPress XML Sitemaps to Search Engines?
Once the XML sitemap URLs are generated, you can submit them to various search engines like Google or Bing.
Submit XML Sitemap to Google
Before we begin, submit your sitemap to Google by verifying the website’s owner via Google Search Console.
- Once you’re done, find your website through Google Search Console
- Go to Index -> Sitemaps
- Enter your WordPress sitemap URL and click Submit.
- Now, allow a few days for Google to process your submission and crawl your pages.
If your site contains a lot of images or videos, we would highly recommend you create a sitemap for them as well.
Submit XML Sitemap to Bing
You can use the Webmaster tool to submit a sitemap to Bing. However, you need to verify the ownership of your website first. During the verification process, enter your WordPress XML sitemap URL and press Save.
Differences Between XML and HTML WordPress Sitemap
Sitemaps can be categorized into two types – XML and HTML.
- XML – contains metadata together with the website’s URLs and all the information, including when a particular URL was last updated and how soon the changes occur, etc.
- HTML – provides more straightforward navigation for the website’s visitors. Specifies where such pages as Contact Us or Shopping Cart are. It makes your site more user-friendly, helping boost your search engine ranking.
The main difference between the two is that XML focuses on the search engines, while an HTML sitemap is written for website visitors.
It’s recommended to have both WordPress sitemaps for your website. It ensures that you are not missing any essential elements related to SEO, guaranteeing the optimum experience of your visitors.
For new blogs with not so many backlinks, a sitemap helps in quick indexing of the web pages. Now, let’s see how to add both sitemaps to WordPress!
Sitemaps are helpful for any site since their primary point is to make an easy to understand site. They can likewise assist with getting the highest level on search engine result pages and add to slither and file your site all the more rapidly.
How To Create An XML Sitemap
How To Create An XML Sitemap – Submit Sitemap To Search Engines (Google and Bing).